Skip to main content

Akufo-Addo sued over Charlotte Osei's dismissal

Akufo Addo  ACETPresident Akufo-Addo
Fly to New York from $945. Book now to get the best price.

A private citizen, Fafali Nyonator, has sued President Nana Akufo-Addo over the dismissal of the chairperson of the Electoral Commission (EC), Mrs Charlotte Osei. 

Nyonator is seeking a perpetual injunction on the dismissal of the EC boss. 

The plaintiff is seeking “a declaration that the determination by Her Ladyship the Chief Justice of a prima facie case pursuant to Article 146 of the constitution for the removal of office of the chairperson of the Electoral Commission is inconsistent with article 130 (a) of the constitution as by the said determination Her Ladyship the Chief Justice usurped the exclusive original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court to construe and/or define the scope of application of the provisions of the constitution, particularly Articles 44 (2) and 146 thereof. 

“A declaration that the committee set up by Her Ladyship, the Chief Justice pursuant to Article 146 of the constitution to inquire into the petition for the removal from office of the chairperson of the Electoral Commission, exceeded its powers by construing, or defining the scope of application of, provisions of the 1992 constitution, including article 44 (2) and 146, and thus acted in violation of 130 (a) of the constitution by usurping the exclusive original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court to interpret the provisions of the constitution. 

“An order of this honourable declaring as null and void the said prima facie determination of her Ladyship the Chief Justice, the report of the said committee that recommended the removal of office from the chairperson of the Electoral Commission as well as the decision of His Excellency the president of Ghana to remove from office the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission on the basis of the said report.
“An order of perpetual injunction restraining His Excellency the president of the Republic of Ghana from appointing any person to the position of chairperson of the Electoral Commission until that position has become lawfully vacant in accordance with proper processes and procedures as by law establish.” 

Mrs Osei and her two deputies, Amadu Sulley and Georgina Opoku Amankwah were dismissed by President Akufo-Addo last week on grounds of incompetence and procurement breaches at the election management body. 
A committee set up by Chief Justice Sophia Akuffo, to investigate separate complaints brought against the three persons by Ghanaian citizens, recommended their removal.
In 2017, the five-member committee investigated alleged acts of corruption involving Mrs Osei and her two deputies. 

Some staff of the EC petitioned Nana Akufo-Addo to remove Mrs Osei from office over allegations of fraud and financial malfeasance as well as abuse of office. Mrs Osei also counter-alleged corruption against her deputies insisting that she has done nothing wrong and only being hounded out because she is fighting internal graft. The president, in accordance with the constitution, forwarded the petition to the Chief Justice to look into the matter. 




Source:ghanaweb.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kwabena yeboah appointed as GFA BOSS.

President of the sports writers Association of Ghana,Kwabena yeboah has been appointed as acting GFA president. According to local media reports ,GFA boss kwesi Nyantakyi has been resigned as GFA BOSS. Source:Atinka TV,opera news.

Kwesi Nyantakyi sues Anas for defamation

Kwesi Nyantakyi, Ghana Football Association former president. Former Ghana Football Association(GFA) Boss Kwesi Nyantakyi has sued Anas Aremeyaw Anas and Tiger Eye PI for defamation. The embattled former GFA Boss is seeking a declaration that the visual images of him[Kwesi Nyantakyi] receiving money contained in defendants (Anas Aremeyaw Anas) investigative piece titled #No. 12 shown to the public on the 6th day of June 20 18 at the Accra International Conference Centre ( AICC) is defamatory. He’s thus seeking punitive damages against defendants for defamation. Additionally, he is praying the court for a Perpetual injunction restraining the defendants from further publishing the video or premiering it. #Number 12 On June 6, 2018, the Tiger Eye PI premiered the Anas’s investigative video titled Number 12 at the Accra International Conference Centre which centered on the rot in Ghana football. In a secret recording, the video captured over a hundred football officials including referees ...

‘I have a man, go and get yours’ – Efia Odo blasts Delay

Efia Odo and Delay Actress and TV host Andrea Owusu popularly known as Efia Odo yesterday came out to angrily lash out at the controversial host and presenter Deloris Frimpong Manso, known as Delay for involving herself in her relationship. The actress, 25, did not take kindly to suggestions by the Delay Show host to keep her relationship on the low because the guy she was dating now had massive flaws and could make her relationship go south soon. On hearing this, “Heels And Sneakers” star took to the micro-blogging website Twitter to call out Delay and suggest she leaves her alone. She wrote “Dear Delay, I’m sorry I don’t sleep with peoples husband(no shade), that’s why I’m able to show MY MAN to the world. Why should I hide someone I’m so proud of, flaws and all? If a relationship will fail, it will be due to lies distrust insecurities and miscommunication. But we good!” Read the tweet below.  Source: ghanaweb.com Publish by :Gyamerah John